St. Elizabeth High School was founded in 1940 by the Right Reverend Monsignor James M. Grant, D.D. to provide a quality secondary school education for students in the Wilmington area. Under the direction of Reverend Francis Desmond, the first principal, and four Benedictine Sisters, St. Elizabeth graduated 20 students in June 1944.
That same year St. Elizabeth was recognized by the Delaware State Department of Education as a full academic high school, and in 1945, it became a temporary affiliate of the Catholic University of America until July 1962, when the affiliation was made permanent. In 1960, St. Elizabeth was accredited by the Middle States Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges. St. Elizabeth is a charter member of the Delaware Association of Independent Schools.
For over half a century St. Elizabeth has attempted to serve the needs of the Christian community by providing the finest education for its young men and women – an education that will equip them to assume a meaningful role in civic and religious life.